An essay can be written in different ways depending on the writer’s intentions and purposes. This is the main reason why there are so many types of essays.
Why is it necessary to know all the essay types? The thing is: knowing various types of essays will help you write in a defined direction avoiding writing down thoughts randomly.
Types of essays:
- Descriptive essays. This type is used to describe things in different fields in spheres. For instance, cars, fashion, gadgets etc. Precise and clear descriptions help readers to keep up with recent developments.
- Cause and effect essays. For this type of essay, either one cause is taken and all the consequences, which it led to, are examined thoroughly or a few causes, which led to one result, are studied.
- Comparative essays. The purpose of such essays is to compare a few objects from different sides in order to give a reader a full understanding of theirs differences and similarities. The conclusion in such an essay is based on its objective.
- Conceptual essays. This kind is used for examining various concepts. You can study different definitions of the same concept in different resources and draw your own conclusions.
- Argumentative essays. The main aim of such essays is to convince readers using firm arguments. You also should encourage them to take action. To do so, you have to use illustration, specific examples, numbers which will prove your point of view. It isn’t easy to persuade people, make them change their thoughts. That’s why you ought to be ready for rejection and resistance.
- Analytical essays. The defining element of these essays is analysis of any problem. For example, you want to find out how one artist’s activity influenced the other artists. So, you will study their works in order to detect regularities.
Subject-oriented types of essays are as follows:
- Scientific-promotional essays. The writer should be able to help readers take a closer look at some scientific facts in an interesting form.
- Fiction essays. Novels, short stories and tales are scrutinized in this type of essays.
- Philosophical essays. An attitude towards some philosophical issues must be expressed in this kind.
- Critical essays. Their objective is to give an objective point of view.
These are the most well-known types of essays in academic life.
If you are in two minds deciding what type of essay to write, you should study carefully the given task and figure out what you are supposed to reveal in your essay.